Canadian School Libraries (CSL) is a registered non-profit charitable organization dedicated to professional research and development in the field of the school library learning commons in Canada. CSL connects school library practitioners and educators across Canada in the collaborative pursuit of delivering exemplary practices reflective of current professional school library learning commons standards.
CSL operates as an established working board of school library learning commons leaders as directors of the CSL board. These five volunteer directors represent the diverse nature of Canadian school library learning commons needs and cultures and hold responsibility for implementation of the purposes and activities of the organization. CSL works collaboratively with existing school library organizations, university and college school library preparation programs, and the broader educational and library communities to achieve our mission.
Library learning commons approaches advance learning potential and school wide improvement.
Our mission is to assist schools in working toward excellence of school library learning commons teaching and learning approaches and facilities to prepare students in Canada with skills and opportunities for learning today and into the future.
- Respect the diversity of school library learning commons needs and cultures.
- Be inclusive of all who work in school libraries and support their work in advancing library learning commons practice.
- Work collaboratively with existing organizations and with the broader education community.
Purposes and Activities
- Educating schools in the transition of school libraries to Library Learning Commons approaches.
- Maintaining and updating (as pertinent) current school library learning commons standards to inform practice.
- Building and maintaining a digital bank of evolving transition approaches and experiences and learning and teaching exemplars from school library learning commons across Canada.
- Supporting and sharing research and professional knowledge about the library learning commons for and with school library practitioners, scholars and researchers.
- Providing professional opportunities most effectively delivered at a national level.
- Connecting to and collaborating with national and international educational initiatives.
See the Big Picture about Canadian School Libraries
This poster summarizes the exciting progress we’ve made in establishing a national organization supporting school library practice. The poster was created in January 2018 for presentation at the OLA Super Conference. Please share!